Job Title: Technical Lead – Naval Architecture
Location: Bristol and/or Plymouth
Compensation: £44,205 – £54,320 + pension (matched up to 8%) + 25 days holiday
Role Type: Full Time / Permanent
Job ID: SF40007
This is your opportunity to become a part of Babcock Submarine Support Engineering, whose vision is to be the industry leading partner to the UK Ministry of Defence for enabling better enterprise decisions that keep submariners safe and submarines at sea. We deliver this vision by providing submarine programme and engineering excellence through enterprise collaboration, innovation and analytics. The Constructive Group comprises of a diverse mix of skillsets, backgrounds and experiences and are now looking to appoint a Technical Lead for Naval Architecture to grow and deliver an increased capability.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for a Senior Naval Architect with experience of working within the UK Submarine Support Enterprise and has demonstrable knowledge and understanding of UK submarine Naval Architecture. You'll be adaptable and won't be phased by changing priorities, actively seeking new knowledge, tools and technologies to support future growth & capability demands.
What will you be doing?
* Be responsible for the development of technical competence within the Naval Architecture technical function and hold others to account for achieving defined standards;
* Identify and implement emerging techniques, tools and technologies to enhance the capability of the Naval Architecture technical function and to support the continued growth of the Constructive Group;
* Participate in a wide range of activities within submarine Naval Architecture including hydrostatic & hydrodynamic analyses, resolving complex technical issues & queries, conducting in-depth feasibility & options studies and the provision of adhoc support to principal customers and key stakeholders as required; and,
* Be responsible for producing technical reports or other documents relevant, or required by, a particular requirement to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with a range of stakeholders.
The experience you'll bring
* MEng or equivalent qualification in Naval Architecture / Marine Technology / Ship Science;
* Professional recognition as a Chartered Engineer by the UK Engineering Council;
* A minimum of 5 years' experience working within the UK Submarine Support Enterprise;
* Knowledge, understanding and experience within UK submarine Stability and Manoeuvring & Control Key Hazard Areas and an understanding of all applicable Defence Standards;
* Significant experience using Paramarine stability analysis software, specifically for UK submarines; and,
* Significant experience using S4 & Artemis manoeuvring & control simulation software.
What a role with Babcock offers?
* 25 days holiday + bank holidays
* Great work/life balance through agile working
* Pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary
* Employee Share plan
* An inclusive and diverse working environment
* Autonomy – trusted and empowered to deliver and be your best.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant:
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link when you apply to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting
Closing date: 24/11/21