We have a huge role to play in tackling climate change and biodiversity loss now that it is the government's number one international priority. Whether it is by changing culture and behaviour, improving the efficiency of the equipment we procure, or delivering more sustainable military capability. Every positive change we can make, large or small, will help and we are looking for individuals to champion environmental protection and sustainability.
Please note some attendance to the stated site may be required for this position.
As our Environmental Manager, you'll provide expert environmental advice to a wide variety of projects across the Ships business unit, ranging from aircraft carriers to small boats.
This progressive role is vital in the procurement process, and you will provide the Ships Delivery Teams with support and advice to reduce the impact on the environment of the equipment they support, whilst making us more environmentally sustainable. You will be influential in ensuring that Ships plays its part in the DE&S Environmental Strategy.
In this Environmental Manager position, your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Completing environmental assessments for new or modified ships and maritime systems, in accordance with environmental policy
* Reviewing and updating delivery teams' environmental documentation, to ensure it is current and reflects good practice
* Developing new environmental policy to support people in the Ships department to deliver environmentally sustainable equipment and platforms
* Taking part in various working groups to drive the sustainability agenda across the organisation, moving towards the goal of Net Zero carbon by 2050
* Helping delivery teams' contract for environmentally sustainable products and services, using Defence Standard 00-51 (Environmental Management Requirements for Defence Systems)
* Overseeing and ensuring environmental compliance
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Hold a minimum of a HNC (i.e., Level 4) qualification in a relevant engineering, science or environmental discipline, or will demonstrate the equivalent experience
* Have demonstrable experience of providing technical advice and delivery of environmental products, services, or management systems within your own industry
* Be a member of a professional engineering, science or environmental institute, or demonstrate continuous professional development with an environmental field
* Have demonstrable experience in communicating with internal and external stakeholders
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Be familiar with the Maritime environmental legislative and regulatory framework
* Have experience working in either the maritime, commercial or defence industries, or another regulated industry such as nuclear, oil & gas, aerospace, automotive, rail, or similar
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Formulate Environmental Policy and Procedures
* Implementation of Policy and Procedures
* Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
We're exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
Selection process details
Simply click on the apply button to create an account and upload your CV. Your application will go through several stages of assessment which are outlined below:
1. Pre-sift – We will check that you meet any essential or eligibility criteria that are listed in the responsibilities section of this advert.
2. Sift – Your CV will be assessed against the following categories, using a simple numerical scoring system:
* Key Achievements * Relevant Experience * Applied Knowledge and Skills
3. Interview – If you are invited to interview, you will be assessed against the Sift categories listed above, as well as the technical competencies and behaviours listed in the responsibilities section of this advert.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
nationals of the Republic of Ireland
nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the EUSS
relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
plus Civil Service benefits package