Requirement: Mechanical Fitter / Turner
Pay: £14.25 with overtime rates or £19 standard rate
Purpose of Job:
To strip out overhaul / refurbish and install mechanical equipment for vessels, using knowledge of mechanical, metallurgy, and engineering requirements.
Essential must have a background in ship refitting specific. Preferable to have experience of new-build background.
Experience in working with vessels. Read and understand basic layout and assembly drawings, to class society rules/standards
Good understanding of shipbuilding/ship repair practices. Understands Works specifications. Understand equipment manuals and installation guides.
Must have experience working with engines, propulsion systems, pump systems, deck machinery, hydraulics systems.
To be able to set up carry out alignment and dimensional control checks. Must have commissioning experience for new build vessels.
Must be able to work with equipment lathes, radial & bench drills, bore/milling tools, alignment equipment,
Within this role of fitter/turner, you shall undertake support for docking and undocking of vessels, setting up blocks, carrying out line handling, fitting, and monitoring of shores whilst docking being carried out.
Dockside preparation installing and removing gangways/accesses to vessel, carry out general cleaning laboring duties.
Would be advantageous of any other semi-skilled trade experience in steelwork, engineering, or painting.
Identify and report any additional or variation to specification scopes of work to line management.
Diversification working with other trades in a support level. Be willing to train forklift, mobile access platforms, PASMA access scaffolding, Rescue teams, first aiders, tank testing, rigging / slinging methods.
Training and developing of apprentices during daily tasks.
Ensure good personal timekeeping and conduct in line with agreed policies and procedures
Ensure standards of good housekeeping are achieved in all work areas, including workshops, stores, vehicles, and on-site locations.
To assist Management in ensuring that servicing, repairs, and maintenance of Company machinery and equipment is carried out periodically in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations.
Carry out duties with minimum supervision using own initiative to plan and prioritise workload within set timescales.
To assist Management in ensuring that all tools/equipment issued are accounted for and traceable to prevent financial loss to the Company and also to report any instances of theft/loss.
Ensure all safety, regulatory, rule, and Company changes/alterations to working practices are adhered to and that all necessary records and inspections are maintained at all times to comply with current legislation.
To assist in carrying out weekly van checks, including reviewing workshop plant and/or service/maintenance dates.
To request procurement of products and services as and when necessary to ensure the continuing successful and efficient operation of the business.
To ensure that he/she is contactable via telephone to suit the emergency/responsive nature of the Company’s core business and client base and may be expected to undertake on-call activities when required.
In addition to the responsibilities listed above, all employees must be flexible in their approach and undertake other duties, wherever they may be, to achieve the objectives of the Company.
* Read and interpret blueprints and working drawings. Plan mechanical work and make estimates of materials required.
* Make precise arm-hand positioning movements and maintain static arm-hand position. Make fine, highly controlled muscular movements to adjust the position of a control mechanism.
* Make skillful, controlled manipulations of small objects. Clean equipment using appropriate materials.
* Lift arms above shoulder level. Work in small, cramped areas. Work at heights or depths greater than ten feet. Climb ladders or stairs to reach objects. Remain in a standing position for extended periods of time.
* Learn job-related material primarily through oral instruction and observation. This learning takes place mainly in an on-the-job training setting.
* Utilise independent judgment in the performance of duties. Work shifts nights, weekends additional hours, Work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the elements.
* This position may require the performance of other essential and marginal functions depending upon work location, assignment or shift. Be prepared and confident to travel, as required, for the overall gain of the business.
* This position requires the use of company vehicles for business purposes. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver's license, and have an acceptable driving record. Employees of our company will be subject to unannounced alcohol and drug testing as a condition of continued employment.
* Good communication skills including spoken and written English and must be able to communicate sensitively, politely, and clearly with staff, managers and suppliers.
Acceptable Experience and Training
* Experience of work to class society rules for boat building,
* Expected to be time served NVQ Level 3 apprenticeship with HNC/NC Mechanical Engineering /Shipbuilding Qualification.
* Must have experience of all mechanical equipment installation methods.
* Must have at least 3-5 years minimum trade experience in the marine industry.
* Be prepared and confident to travel, as required, for the overall gain of the business. Full UK driving license.
* Must have good demonstrable organisational skills.
* Must be able to interpret technical drawings, schematic parts manuals, and diagrams, and associated technical data & specifications.
* Must be able to work as part of a team and be able to motivate.
You are responsible for ensuring that you and all employees under your control work safely and comply with all current and relevant health, safety, and environmental legislation.
You are responsible for implementing safe systems of work according to our client's procedures.
You are responsible for ensuring your own safety and that of the employees under your control and of visitors and the general public when on our client's property.
You must adhere to all criteria as published in the company staff handbooks.
You must adhere to all criteria relating to the Company Drug & Alcohol and Medical/substance misuse policy.
You must ensure that accidents, incidents, and near misses to you or staff under your control are reported and recorded and that the accident book is completed promptly