SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, we operate a network of more than 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.
We aim to be the most competitive and the most productive service organization in the world. Our core competencies in inspection, verification, testing and certification are being continuously improved to be best-in-class. They are at the heart of what we are.
Role: Cargo Inspector
Salary: £24,000 – £26,000 per annum
Location: Ellesmere Port
The role of Cargo Inspector can be physically demanding and will involve both working at heights, in confined spaces and potentially on vessels at sea. SGS will ensure you are provided with the relevant training, coaching and mentoring, along with correct equipment and PPE to ensure you safely perform in the role to the best of your ability.
Due to the nature of the business, the role of Inspector will require flexibility with hours of work to fit with shipping/tide times. We operate an annual hour’s working pattern, and you will receive 32 days’ annual leave to start which increases with service. You will also receive a competitive salary, a company vehicle to perform your role and a range of excellent benefits.
The role of Cargo Inspector is to provide independent assessment of the quantity and quality of materials including Crude Oil, Petroleum Products, Petrochemicals and Petroleum Gases. You will perform sampling of cargo and take measurements to complete calculations for the accurate reporting to the client. The position will involve:
* Following standard practices to perform measurement activities including visual observations, volumetric/temperature measurements, and representative sampling of petrochemical products.
* Recording and reporting results of the measurement activities to determine accurate load/ discharge/ transfer quantities in compliance with industry practices using relevant systems.
* Working as part of a 24/7operational team to ensure all operations are covered in an effective and efficient manner, including local laboratory teams.
* Communicating and coordinating with colleagues, clients and third parties regarding operations including any delays and any/all potential impacts on work execution.
* Maintaining PPE, measurement and sampling equipment to ensure calibration, fitness for purpose and cleanliness.
* Identifying, reporting and where possible addressing potential H&S hazards in line with 18001 certification.
We require our Inspectors to have the following skills, experience and knowledge:
* Willing and able to work unsociable hours
* Be able to perform often physically demanding outdoor work
* Have experience in a Oil and/ or Chemical related industry ideally with prior Inspection experience, or alternatively offshore, shipping, sea going experience or a relevant science/nautical qualification and a willingness to learn.
* Demonstrate excellent communication skills (oral and written)
* Hold a valid driving license
APPLY NOW for full consideration, you can be sure that your application will be treated confidentially and impartially, and you will always receive an update within 10 business days